Skip to content

Passeport biometrique 1.1.2012

Information to Danes abroad:

From 1 January 2012 you need to go to the Embassy in Brussels if you need a new passport

From 1 January 2012 new Danish passports must contain digital photos, fingerprints and signatures. In this way the security against forgery and misuse of passports is strengthened considerably. Passports issued until 1 January 2012 already hold a digital photo of the holder.

Your present passport is still valid until the date of expiry.

The decision to introduce fingerprints in passports has been made at central level in the EU as part of the combat against terrorism, human trade, human trafficking, illegal immigration and other transnational crime. With the new biometric passport Danish citizens are secured the possibility to travel to countries which in the future will demand this type of passport for entry.

With the new passport you are in the best way possible protected against someone stealing your identity and pretending to be you and against forgery of your passport.

In order to issue the new passport installation of special equipment for taking photos and recording fingerprints and signature is necessary. The applications must be handed to and handled by specially authorized staff, who will have access to certain data in the central citizens registry, the CPR.

As a consequence, from 1 January 2012 it will only be possible to apply for a passport in Belgium by personal appearance at the embassy in Brussels. The Danish honorary consulates in Gent, Antwerp, Brugge and Liège will from that date no longer receive passport applications.

What are my options up until 1 January 2012?

Until 31 December 2011 incl., you have the options described under

on our website. The new passports will be valid for 2, 5 or 10 years – just as it is now.

What can be handled by the consulates from 1 January 2012?

After 1 January 2012 the consulates can still extend the validity of passports and issue emergency passports.

A condition for extension of an expired passport is that it expired no longer than two years ago. A passport can only be extended once and for a maximum of 12 months. We recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize extended passports. For instance it is not possible to travel without a visa to the USA on an extended passport.

An emergency passport is issued with validity limited to the period required for the duration of the journey and rules of the countries to be travelled through, and for a maximum of 12 months. An emergency passport must be rendered to the Police or to a Danish mission abroad after use. Travelling with an emergency passport may cause problems with other countries’ border controls. Therefore we recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize emergency passports.

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?

Yes. Already today it is possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark. All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Center (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality. You can find addresses of Civil Service Centres at

You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad.

Can my child be included in my passport?

No. Since 1 October 2004 children, also newly borns and children without names, must have their own passport. A consulate may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if you are in urgent need of a passport. See above on emergency passports.

Must children also give their fingerprints?

No. Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport. From 1 January 2012 application for passports for children can only be handed in at the Embassy.

Must I also go to the Embassy to collect my new passport?

Not necessarily. We recommend that you collect your passport in person bringing your old passport for cancellation. We can, however, send your passport by registered mail,

but you will first have to send us your old passport by registered mail for cancellation


Please note, that we cannot be held responsible for the functioning of local postal services.

Royal Danish Embassy, Brussels, September 29, 2011.